Getting Organized by Guest Kate Endle

I just recently devised the perfect solution for my massive collection of reference/inspiration materials. I had thousands of magazine clippings, note cards, catalog pages, and random bits of ephemera that I had been saving for over thirty years. I had them saved in boxes, taped into sketchbooks, squirreled away in the nooks and crannies of my home. This was very unsatisfying and not very efficient when it came time to pull an image for reference or inspiration. Now, I realize my solution will not end up in the Greatest Organizational Solutions of All Time Hall of Fame for originality, but it really works for my needs.

Here's my system: I glue and tape everything onto cardstock in binders. Each binder has a plastic sleeve in the back that holds the things that are not ready to be glued down. But, before it goes there, it goes into a catch all bin. The catch all bin holds the torn sheets, the magazines I haven't read, greeting cards, etc, etc,etc. Also, the thing I really love about my system is the actual binders themselves. They're cardboard (not plastic), they're a pleasing shade of forest green, and they didn't cost me a fortune. I found them at PaperZone on sale for under $10 a piece and I bought ten of them. To have this task completed feels great! I come from a family of master organizers. We are also a clan of collectors. So, when I have a collection organized to my liking I feel like giving myself a gold star. I just organized my paper scraps, too. Yay for me!




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

great idea....I too have over 30 years of 'things'. I have every MarthaStewart magazine except the very first one. But I've also got tonnes of clippings that are in boxes, baskets, drawers....this is what I need to do-thankyou!:)

Claire said...

I have a folder similiar to that. Just the few photos of yours though makes me think how super interesting it would be to see what other people fill their inspiration books with. Hmmmm...

Uncle Beefy said...

Me too. Well, with the binders anyway. Organizing your scrap paper? Now THAT'S impressive! My partner is constantly in a conundrum over my need to hold on to pages I've torn out of magazines. At least I know I'm not alone.

(Agreed claire.)

Thanks, Kate!

Lauren said...

Love it! What a fun and creative way to organize clippings. I organize mine digitally on Neat Receipts. It works well for us, because we don't have lots of space to hang on to physical things. It's not as pretty, though!

amber {daisy chain} said...

wow. you actually did this?? I am totally impressed. I have visions of doing something like this, but never have...

love.boxes said...

What a cool idea. :)

Alya said...

Your system is very similar to mine, only mine has yet to be implemented.

I inherited the "collector" gene from my mom, and inherited the "organizing" gene from my dad. But i discovered that these two collide a lot!

But there r ways 2 be organized.

Rebecca said...

As a artist and designer I have drawers full of things that I love and find inspiring (scrap paper too). What a great way to keep all those thing within reach. Thanks.

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your thoughts and ideas, thanks for reading!