Recipe 3 Ways - Mango Bean Salad


Yesterday I was in a funk, do you ever get that way? Today I decided to saddle up and spontaneously did back to back classes at the gym. A little yoga, a little spin, and it got me back to where I want to be. What do you do in a creative rut? I read excerpts from this book last night that also got me on a roll. (Thanks Russell!)

I am working really hard the next several months to shed the dreaded baby weight. I'm like come on, I have a two year old now. No excuses, right? It also makes me feel better in all areas when I put my health and eating healthy first.

Here is a quick and easy healthy recipe I made today for lunch after coming home from the gym. It is something I make often and thought it would be cool to show how you can easily whip something up in one bowl and make three different meals out of it. I really experiment along the way so I rarely make it the same way twice and use whatever I have on hand. A well stocked kitchen and fridge is key.

>> recipe after the jump...


Mango Bean Salad

2 cans black beans washed and drained (if you already have dried cooked beans use those!)
1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
1 tomato (whatever you have on hand)
1 mango peeled diced
1 avocado
1/3+ frozen corn (if you have hand-shucked corn, you are my hero.)
4Tbs or so of cilantro chopped
4 green onions diced
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 limes juiced (just squeeze them right into the bowl)

Mix up and let sit 10-15 then enjoy in any of the three ways shown above.

10 comments:

dandee said...

I'm so happy you posted this recipe, Rachel. I love how versatile it is. And I'm like you. I feel better about life overall when Im taking care of myself physically.

anna | Today I like Blog said...

yes I totally agree, sometimes it's just not because you have to loose weight but eating healty is also a way of showing your body (and your mind) that you care.

I am not a great fan of mango but I might try! :)

Unknown said...

i definitely think you can do it! great idea btw :)

xx
www.pretpenser.com
www.pretpenser.com

Frances said...

This looks so yum!! and healthy!
I'm so looking forward to making it.
Thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

I make that too as a great side dish in the summer for parties we are invited to because its so nutritious and easy!
Love that you are taking the steps to get yourself out of the funk that affects all of us from time to time.
And whats amazing to me is the affect of being physical and how that does help the body heal!

custom stickers said...

I definitely want to try this recipe but unfortunately the mango season is off here nowadays and I have to wait till next season. May be canned mangoes will not provide the same taste as natural.

Karen said...

Yum, that looks delish. Can't wait for mango season, they are $4 each in Sydney at the moment.

Heather said...

This looks yummy! I LOVE how versatile this recipe is. I just added this to the menu this week for dinner.

Mali Gold said...

i love to cook..i will try this at home! looks yummy..

painting antique furniture toronto said...

ehmm. that looks delicious thanks for sharing the recipes in it!

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your thoughts and ideas, thanks for reading!